Hey, thanks for sharing.

 I think I am the opposite of that, I am unable to code just for myself, if
no one else is directly (and immediately) impacted by what I do then I get
bored fast (but this is probably coupled with the fact that I am unable to
code the way I want yet like some editor where everything is based on a
graph so ie. connected, explorable). If I am doing something for someone
(other than just myself) then I'm all fired up and motivated although any
kind of inconsistency/bugs/barriers or the need to compromise around them
because of the system limitations are having a negative impact on my
morale.
 This is likely still be ego related, but knowing that I am not the only
one that I program for, boosts my morale. In a way this is always true that
you program for others as much as for yourself but it's not directly
obvious, for example all the improvements that you get from
practicing/programming will help you and others in the future, it's for the
best of all(and I consciously know that), but my subconscious seems to want
something more immediate like knowing that are others (in the now) actively
waiting on me and wanting me to code the stuff (ego xD). I find this
morale boosting. But just doing it for myself, I couldn't do it, even if I
would know that sometime in the future some people would appreciate that I
did that.
 I would guess that a good programmer(not me) knows how to program his
subconscious (which is not unlike what you did Mosciatti) so that morale is
never a problem. Either make the environmental conditions match the
expected ones (ie. surround yourself with friends that appreciate what u're
doing) or reprogram your subconscious (ie. so you don't need the friends
that appreciate you, you appreciating yourself would be enough).
  Sometimes I am able to trick myself into believing that sometime in the
future some people would benefit from what I coded (either from the code
itself[less likely though xD] or from what the resulting program does) and
this works for a while but it's still based on the fact that I code for
others or in other words, my ego boosts morale when I know that I've done
something for others (as opposed to just myself).

ok writing too much text, stopping