On May 27, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Mark Engelberg wrote:

> I would be a lot happier with the state of Clojure debugging if, in addition
> to a stacktrace, I could easily explore the local variables in play when an
> error was triggered.  It was possible to do this in earlier Clojure
> environments, but the capability seems to have been lost in the transition to
> nrepl.

This is also the main debugging feature I want and don't have in any of the
ways that I currently work with Clojure. I've seen montion of libraries that
one can include that will give one this kind of functionality, but I've never
gotten anything to work. Does anyone know a simple way to do this that doesn't
involve an Emacs-based tool set?

In my former life in Common Lisp I think that every environment -- from
command-line-based implementations to full-featured IDEs -- would put you in a
REPL at the point of an error, from which you could examine locals all the way
up the stack, evaluate expressions, and even redefine things and continue. I
don't usually need all of this, but it seems cruel for the system to be
throwing away all of that stack info (local variables) that I often know
contains the information I need to track down and fix a bug.

Later in the thread:

On May 27, 2013, at 8:17 PM, Brandon Bloom wrote:

> Most of the time, stepping through code is just much slower than thinking,
> inserting a precise print statement, and then re-executing the broken code.
>
> However, this means that you need to design your code for determinism,
> repeatability, and visibility. So not having a debugger means also has
> pleasant affects on your design!

Most of my code is intentionally and intrinsically non-deterministic, and
"re-executing" can take days. So it sure would be nice to be able to see the
locals that were in play when the error was triggered!

 -Lee