On May 27, 2013, at 9:54 PM, Softaddicts wrote:
> Lets take a real life example, [etc.]
>
> Debugging was not a viable option. [etc.]
>
> This project was extreme in this regard but it prove to me that reviewing
> code offline
> and thinking about how to improve it gives much more payback than using the
> debugger to fix a specific problem.

Okay, sometimes debuggers don't help... but sometimes they do! And often it's
necessary to step back and think... but sometimes having some key information
(like the value of the arguments to my function, or of some other locals, that
led to the error) makes the thinking a lot more productive.

Elsewhere on this thread:

On May 27, 2013, at 9:36 PM, dgrnbrg wrote:
> For Vim users, I ported the debug repl. This is a tool that allows you to
> create a REPL in the middle of the call stack, which allows you to suspend
> the evaluation of functions, lazy seqs, etc, and then inspect the locals and
> globals at that location. If you've already installed Fireplace, then you
> just need add the vim plugin and include redl in your project.clj, and use
> :Repl or :ReplHere to create a repl, and then use redl.core/break and
> redl.core/continue to use the debugger. You can find the vim component here:
> https://github.com/dgrnbrg/vim-redl and the Clojure component here:
> https://github.com/dgrnbrg/redl

This sounds pretty neat... but I also don't use Vim. (It's also not completely
clear to me from this description if you can get the locals from the context of
an error, rather than from a manual suspension.)

Is there anything that will provide the values of locals at an error (whether
interactively or in a big dump) regardless of the IDE or launch method that one
uses?

Or if there's nothing that's so general then is there anything that would work
from a call to "lein run" or from Clooj or from Eclipse/CCW?

Thanks,

 -Lee