I maintain the strategies summarized by Stuart are a better alternative
than repetitive debugging sessions because they change the core of how you are
thinking about design and coding, forcing you to have a broader view
about how you are doing things and preventing problems before
they appear.

I came to the same conclusion as Stuart after 30+ years of coding in various
languages/assemblers and architectures.

Debugger have been in use for more than 35 years and they never improved code
quality. They were used to patch specific narrow problems, not avoiding them at
the root.

I had a colleague once that was writing code in hex directly in the debugger.
Nice and exotic but of little value considering that he had to reconstruct
source
code afterward... and that he'd better not get his mainframe session
disconnected
while patching his code.

I did not say that a debugger was not useful at all, I said that the importance
of having a
debugger is *overestimated* especially in an immutable world.

Relying on a debugger as an important tool to support coding is like admitting
the failure of your code before it runs. It's like conceding defeat before the
fight
has started.

Trying to a avoid debug sessions as much as possible is more productive.
Time spent in debug sessions is not spent on more important issues.

Luc P.

Softaddicts<lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca> sent by ibisMail from my ipad!