On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Ben Wolfson <wolf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If that's all that's required for one thing to complect two others,
> clojure's rife with the stuff. if-let complects if and let. Destructuring
> assignment complects assignment and getting values from a data structure (as
> the macroexpansion of (let [[a b] x]) demonstrates.

Those examples provide an overall simplification for common
constructs. As the 'use' docstring says, it is "Like 'require, but
also refers to each lib's namespace using clojure.core/refer." so it
explicitly combines two already somewhat complex operations.

When we added :refer to 'require' we also complected things but we
improved expressiveness and we allowed the overall 'ns' construct to
be more uniform and consistent so I think, on balance, that was a win
(and I certainly like having one construct - :require - in my ns
declarations rather than a mix of :use and :require). We probably
should have taken that opportunity to deprecate :use at the same time
but as I recall, :refer was added very late in the cycle and arguing
over deprecating :use would have detracted from the discussion of the
utility of adding :refer to :require in the first place.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."