I can't think of a single good reason to not deprecate :use. :require can
do everything :use could do now.

This isn't about whether or not (:use ..) without :only is bad. I'd go as
far as to say that outside of test files (and sometimes not even those) and
repl sessions, :use without :only is objectively bad. Not much
justification you can give me that'll make it unbad. But that isn't what
this is about. Deprecating :use doesn't make doing the aforementioned bad
thing impossible, and :refer :all was added to require for that specific
purpose. :require still lets you do bad things if you really want to. All
we're doing by deprecating :use is removing cruft and making things less
complicated for new people. We currently have two things, and one of them
does all the things the other one does and more, yet we still have both of
them.

Just my $0.02.