I think the choice of a language has always a subjective part. Particularly
when you learn a language by yourself for pleasure.  Because  it's 'for
pleasure' you want to learn a fun stuff.

At work, I believe the subjective part works against a choice. Currently,
at my office, the 8 other colleagues don't want to take a look at Clojure
because of its LISP syntax. Their brain blocks and they don't hear you when
you talk about the language capabilities.