On Monday, October 7, 2013 4:28:57 AM UTC-4, Phillip Lord wrote:

> Lee Spector <lspe...@hampshire.edu <javascript:>> writes:
>
> > Also IMHO (just trying to deflect some flames here) the Clojure
> > ecosystem currently lacks the ideal environment for this.
>
> Tend to agree with this also. As nice as leiningen is, Clojure seems to
> inherit from Java bulky projects. Compare these two hello worlds:
>
> (println "hello world")

> #!/usr/bin/python
> print( "hello world" )
>
> Both equivalently simple, up and till the point you actually try to run
> them. The best I came up with is...
>
> java -jar ~/.m2/repository/org/clojure/clojure/1.5.1/clojure-1.5.1.jar
> hello_world.clj
>
> which, of course, depends on me having installed leiningen and used it.

For new users who want to get their feet wet right on the first day, I'd
suggest this (after they make sure they've got Java installed):

 #. Download `lein`, drop it into your ~/bin, and `chmod +x` it if
necessary,
 #. `lein version` (so it installs and thus creates ~/.lein directory (see
next step))
 #. `touch ~/.lein/profiles.clj`, and into that file put `{:user {:plugins
[[lein-exec "0.3.1"]]}}` (or whatever the current version of [lein-exec] is
when you're reading this. :) )

[lein-exec]: https://github.com/kumarshantanu/lein-exec

Now you can create your "hello world" about as simply as with P{erl,ython}:

 #. create a ~/wherever/foo.clj file,
 #. into it goes `(println "hi")`, then
 #. run it in the prescribed way: `lein exec foo.clj`.

-- John