Nando Breiter <na...@aria-media.com> writes:
> To me, this begins to look more like a "user interface" issue than strictly
> a programming issue. The folks who do interface design have a technique -
> "pretend it's magic". What would the solution look like if it was "magic" (
> setting all programming considerations aside for the moment) ?

This is, indeed, the case. When teaching programming to new programmers
the minimum of pain points is an important consideration. At the moment,
clojure is quite hard to get going with.

Of course, Java is a total pain to get going with also ("hello new
programmer, this is an IDE -- just ignore most of it"), so this isn't
the only consideration.

> The student installs something  ... opens something ... and something just
> works. How would you flesh that out?

Someone else installs something for the student.

A persistant REPL would be nice (although, of course, as most evaluative
programmers restart periodically to avoid a balked environment, it might
introduce problems as well).

A nice simple environment is key, but with a good path to more complex
functionality, as they become familiar the environment. I'd love to have
an IDE with a "newbie" mode which took away all the nonsense, and then
slowly turned it on with a "here's a new feature" dialog. Guess that's
not going to happen any time soon!

Phil