For me it's about 1 thing: Data.

A web application is about taking data from the user, transform it and
store it on the database and take data from the database, transform it and
show it to the user.
Clojure is the best language I used to work with data, it just gives you a
composable set of tools and then get out of your way, and there's always
macros for the more complex use cases.
We have a web application that serves edn data to our clojurescript
frontend, our webdevelopers created a new site for mobile in backbone.js
that used json, I had just to create a function (ring middleware) that
transformed my edn data to json based on the accept header.

My 2¢