Marcus,

To answer your original question, the main reason we use Clojure is that we
were originally using Ruby, and once our sites got to a certain level of
traffic they fell over badly.  Rewriting the system in Clojure meant
literally two orders of magnitude performance increase, which at the level
of clients we are dealing with now is not just a huge win, it is critical.

I've also used Python extensively (and we still have some projects in it),
but there is a lot of complexity in just dealing with the environments and
dependencies (virtualenv is a standard practice now?)  Once people have
lein installed, they can download one of our Clojure projects and we know
everyone is using the same version of everything without any hassle.  It
just works.

Also, the benefit of being able to spin off a new thread to do some
background task is not to be overlooked.  Python and Ruby are still
fundamentally single threaded and each has its own flavors of what are
basically hacks to get around that limitation.

As our applications begin to demand more and more asynchronous handling
Clojure really is starting to shine.  Once you have core.async at your
disposal, all of a sudden it is hard to imagine how you ever lived without
it.  Seriously.  What a brilliant abstraction and solution for what was
previously a complex architecture task.

So can you still use Django and Rails to build webapps?  Of course, these
are mature and tested platforms for doing standard things.  But Clojure is
the future.  There is always a choice to be made between going with the
sanctioned solutions of today or blazing the trails of tomorrow.  I
remember when Django and Rails were the platforms of the future and people
thought they were risky or strange and untested.  People are always making
a case for the safe established choice.  But somehow progress gets made
anyway.

(I am biased of course.  But I made that decision years ago and never
looked back.  I can't imagine going back to python or ruby now, but I can't
speak for everyone.)