To me, this section appears to be about the LGPL library; so if you are
using an LGPL library, you cannot obsfucate in your (possibly modified)
version of it, nor prevent people debugging the library.

Sounds to me like jobsworth lawyers -- either they can spend time
understand something or they can just say no which is the safer cause of
action for them.

Phil

Colin Fleming <colin.mailingl...@gmail.com> writes:

> At least one company (mine at the time) had a problem with using LGPL
> software because of the clause where you explicitly allow reverse
> engineering of your product in order to use a different version of the LGPL
> library. That's enough to give any corporate lawyer the screaming heebie
> jeebies, not to mention the possibility of having to support your product
> with users running random versions of some of the libraries you depend on.
> A ridiculous prospect? Maybe, but the LGPL very explicitly allows it and
> forces acceptance of those terms, so clearly someone is anticipating doing
> it.
>

> On 13 November 2013 11:25, John Gabriele <jmg3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:30:23 AM UTC-5, Sean Corfield wrote:
>>>
>>> It's also worth
>>> pointing out that a lot of US companies won't use GPL-licensed
>>> software (and won't pay for a closed source version), and many aren't
>>> comfortable with LGPL either.
>>>

>> I don't see why a company would have any problem at all with *using*
>> LGPL'd software, even in a product. However, I can see the possible
>> complaints if they wanted to *modify* it and then distribute their modified
>> version (since that would then require distributing the modified source
>> along with it).
>>
>>  --
>> --
>> ---
>> "Clojure" group.

Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 222 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: phillip.l...@newcastle.ac.uk
School of Computing Science,
http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/phillip.lord
Room 914 Claremont Tower,               skype: russet_apples
Newcastle University,                   twitter: phillord
NE1 7RU