> The hlisp part of Hoplon - the compiler bit that converts HTML to
>> ClojureScript - was designed and implemented specifically to avoid having
>> to do this.  It's our opinion (and experience) that admission of the DOM as
>> a data structure instead of a piece of the program introduces tremendous
>> complexity.  This data structure must be explicitly interpreted, evaluated,
>> and updated in complicated ways that tend to couple tightly to both overall
>> state logic and DOM quirks.  That said, Hoplon markup can be manipulated as
>> data the way any other Lisp program sanely can - via hygienic macros.

I am curious about this.  I have had the opposite experience.  Whenever I
use a library based on macros I find myself wanting to do something with
them the macro writer did not expect, and being forced to wrap the macros
in functions so I can compose things programmatically (which seems to me
like unnecessary complexity).  I can't pass macros around as arguments,
store them in a list, or apply them to arguments in a general way.

On the other hand, if I am just working with a data structure, I can write
functions to manipulate the data in novel ways and even use many functions
that already exist to manipulate data without having to recreate that
functionality for a specific domain (like looping, merging, search and
replace etc).

So I am curious specifically what flexibility you are gaining by using
macros (things you can't do with functions and data) that would offset the
flexibility you sacrifice with macros?  I am open to being convinced on
this point!