I am still unable to "start nomilkforme". I get this error:

z@ubuntu:/tmp$ sudo start nomilkforme
start: Job failed to start

When I try $ init-checkconf -d /etc/init/nomilkforme.conf I get

z@ubuntu:/deploy$ init-checkconf -d /etc/init/nomilkforme.conf
DEBUG: upstart_path=/sbin/init
DEBUG: initctl_path=/sbin/initctl
DEBUG: confdir=/tmp/init-checkconf.fS7LRafn7i
DEBUG: file=/etc/init/nomilkforme.conf
DEBUG: job=nomilkforme
DEBUG: ok - no other running instances detected
DEBUG: upstart_out=/tmp/init-checkconf-upstart-output.UQ8JfJbG7n
DEBUG: upstart_cmd=/sbin/init --session --no-sessions --no-startup-event
--verbose --confdir /tmp/init-checkconf.fS7LRafn7i
DEBUG: Waiting for Upstart to reply over D-Bus (attempt 1)
DEBUG: Waiting for Upstart to reply over D-Bus (attempt 2)
DEBUG: Waiting for Upstart to reply over D-Bus (attempt 3)
DEBUG: Waiting for Upstart to reply over D-Bus (attempt 4)
DEBUG: Waiting for Upstart to reply over D-Bus (attempt 5)
ERROR: failed to ask Upstart to check conf file
DEBUG: stopping secondary Upstart (running with PID 17391)

The problem appears to be related to the issue mentioned here
http://scriptogr.am/mwhiteley/post/dbus-init-checkconf

"The problem is that init-checkconf is assuming you have a dbus-daemon
running and the related environment variables set to find it. A graphical
login session generally will start a dbus session for the user, but on a
server install you are most likely running without one."

Does this make sense? I am running a server install as he mentions.

And do you know how I can run the script that he mentions?