Regarding Michal's comment of using BST (binary search tree)-based
dictionaries, Clojure does already have sorted-maps and sorted-sets that do
this, for comparable keys/elements.

A nice hybrid of the nearly-O(1) typical case of hash maps/sets, and
simultaneously protecting against the cases where there are many hash
collisions, is to have the 'leaves' of the current hash maps/sets be binary
search trees, rather than linked lists.

That requires the keys/element to be comparable, but today's
clojure.core/compare cannot compare all pairs of things, and perhaps there
is no practical way to try to include "everything" in a more general
compare function so that everything hashable (i.e. every Java object) is
also comparable.  Would it be easier to create a 'universal compare'
function for all Clojure values, assuming they only contained Clojure
values inside of them?

Andy