Phil Hagelberg <p...@hagelb.org> writes:

> On Saturday, April 26, 2014 9:21:26 PM UTC-7, Mars0i wrote:
>> I like the general idea of the Valentin's proposal, but I don't
>> understand every bit of it.  It sounds complicated.  Personally, I'd
>> rather see something that's relatively simple, and good enough, than
>> something that's perfect but unwieldy.  If it's too difficult, people
>> won't use it, or they'll waste time, or feel that the Clojure
>> community expects them to spend too much time on something that
>> detracts from what's important.
>
> Double-inc[1] on this. Clojure needs people who care about documentation
> far more than it needs another documentation system. Don't try to apply a
> technical solution to a social problem.

Consider this argument, of the same form.

What the JVM needs is people who care about writing good code far more
than it needs another JVM hosted language. Don't try and apply a
technical solution to a social problem.

Following this logic, we can just dump Clojure and use Java; in fact, if
we do this, we will achieve a better documentation system than we have
at the moment, because javadoc is better than Clojure's system.

Of course, technical solutions don't solve all problems, and authoring
documentation is difficult to start off with; but Clojure's current
system -- an unstructured string -- is not a good tool. Compare Emacs
doc

Compare these two strings:

Returns a new seq where x is the first element and seq is
the rest.

Create a new cons, give it CAR and CDR as components, and return it.

In the latter, we can distinguish CAR and CDR as parameters. In the
former, cannot. We could look at arglist

:arglists '([x seq])

which tells us. However, we have "a new seq" and "seq is the rest" --
one refering to the formal parameter and the other refering to the
clojure abstraction. And neither refering to clojure.core/seq which we
might otherwise want to hyperlink to.

We could change it to this....

Returns a new object implementing the ISeq interface, where the formal
parameter x is the first element and the formal parameter seq is the
rest.

which avoids the ambiguity, but this is long winded.

We need some structure, or at least conventions in Clojure
documentation. The lack of this is the technical problem. That we have
many potential technical solutions is social problem, not that we have
any.

Phil