On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Magnus Therning <mag...@therning.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Cecil Westerhof <cldwester...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> It would be interesting to hear WHY functional programming would yield
> >> less secure programs.  What would then be the paradigm that results in
> >> most security?  Imperative, logical?
> >

> > Modular, the suggestion being that that could not be done in a functional
> > language.
>
> That is indeed an interesting statement.  I would LOVE to hear why use
> of functional languages would prevent modularity.  Especially since so
> many VERY knowledgeable people claim that functional programming
> yields more composable software.  I'm having a hard time reconciling
> that something can be composable but not modular.

Indeed.  Functionism seems to go hand-in-hand with abstract data types,
which is good for modularity.  My recollection is that the module
system<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_ML#Module_system>is one
of major selling points of Standard ML, for example.

In general functional languages seem to represent a large step on the way
to the convergence of programs and proofs (see e.g.
Idris<http://www.idris-lang.org/> for
an example further down that road) so I would expect better security
characteristics from functional programs as compare to stuff written in
imperative, OO etc. languages.

-Gregg