On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:41:25 PM UTC-4, puzzler wrote:

> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Sean Corfield <se...@corfield.org<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>

> Sean, I think you missed the point of that example.  The point was that
> the docstring actually makes sense if it were written as:
>
> Returns a new seq where `x` is the first element and `seq` is the rest.
>
> Note how using standard markdown syntax helps distinguish the reference to
> the `seq` arg and the more generic use of the term seq.
>
> I think the Clojure community's lack of meaningful support for markdown in
> docstrings is a glaring weakness that is fairly easy to rectify.  In the
> meantime, I've begun using markdown syntax in my own docstrings, figuring
> that someday the tools will eventually catch up and support it.

Using markdown in docstrings would be fantastic. This would enable tools
like codox and autodoc to produce nice-looking html output from docstrings,
instead of just <pre>docstring here</pre> output.

And the difference between the current Clojure docstrings and updated
markdown-formatted docstrings is pretty minimal. Heck, I bet that
markdown-i-fying the docstrings would even provide an easy on-ramp for a
lot of folks (myself included) to get involved in the patch submission
process...

Incidentally, I see that the [Rust](http://www.rust-lang.org/) folks use
markdown-formatted docstrings. Have a look at some of [their API
docs](http://static.rust-lang.org/doc/master/std/index.html). Very nice.