On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:39:47 AM UTC-4, Gregg Reynolds wrote:

> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 4:53 AM, Phillip Lord <philli...@newcastle.ac.uk
> <javascript:>> wrote:

Trivial things that I would like to be able to do that I cannot do (in a

> way which will be reliably interpreted).
>>
>>  - Add hyperlinks
>>  - Distinguish between symbols (or names of vars) and normal words.
>>  - Distinguish between code (examples) and normal words
>>  - Have access to basic "markdown" style typography.
>>

> I'm undecided on these.  They would obviously be useful, but on the other
> hand minimalism has its virtues.  In the base case of reading code with a
> plaintext editor, I usually find embedded doco with lots of markup annoying
> and an impediment to code reading.  I think I'm inclined to favor keeping
> markup out of code but I'm keeping an open mind about it.

Gregg,

I strongly opposed the introduction of case-sensitive identifiers in R6RS
Scheme. Case-insensitive identifiers allow programmers to write comments
and documentation that unambiguously refer to arguments and function names
in ALL-CAPS. As a bonus, a sentence need never begin with a capital letter,
even if one is using something like back-ticks to indicate monospaced type,
because `All-caps` is an equally valid representation. There are legitimate
reasons to embrace case-sensitive identifiers, but the happy interplay
between pre-R5RS source code and the written word was lost.

In Clojure doc strings, I either pretend that identifiers are
case-insensitive or use back-ticks and try very hard not to start sentences
with lower-case identifiers. Regarding code itself, I tend to use all-caps
identifiers for macro arguments, another common Scheme (and Lisp?)
convention, to make it more clear what's going on during quasi-quoting.

Edwin