ClojureBridge and conj grants are excellent ways to encourage all types of
folks to join Clojure and I'm stoked that these programs have emerged from
the community. These are Good Things and should be continued and improved
upon wherever possible. I'd personally like to know how much good these
efforts do and tracking demographics of the Clojure community, whether it
is through the State of Clojure survey or other means, would allow us to
measure the distance between our ideals and reality. I'm proud of the
attempts and efforts undertaken to increase diversity within the community
and, beyond the specifics of this current conversation, I'm confident that
Clojure will make strides towards a more diverse user base.

For the issue at hand, I believe that by including demographics within the
State of the Clojure survey the Clojure leadership would be making a strong
statement indicating their desire for a more desire community. The survey
measures that which has been deemed important to know and understand in
terms of the stewardship and development of Clojure. Including demographic
questions in the survey, along with the context of why they were included,
would indicate that there is a strong desire to understand and improve the
diversity of the community by those who lead the community. Inclusion of
such questions on the survey would be another opportunity for Clojure to be
more than just not unwelcoming to atypical folks and allow us to
purposefully invite more people to this relative paradise we inhabit. For a
relatively small effort* it would show atypical folks that we care to know
that they exist in the context of Clojure usage and that we are interested
in understanding and improving their situation.
-Zack

*If I've misgauged the difficultly of adding such questions to the survey,
please say so. My impression is that this would be straightforward
technologically and, by perhaps copying questions from similar surveys,
straightforward in terms of survey design. I don't mean to ask you to drop
everything and try to solve all the problems of sexism all at once but only
to do something which seems, from an outside perspective, fairly economical
with low costs and high benefits.