> Herwig - I like your suggestion re: rclojure. That seems like a harder
> but more fruitful approach than other porting options. Do you have any
> references to this kind of approach in other languages?

It could be argued, that compilers doing escape analysis (which includes
Hotspot), have that subset of their input language hidden in them. However,
I'm not aware of a dynamic vm that takes that subset and uses it to provide
e.g. allocation-free transducers over homogeneous arrays (The latter being,
what i estimate as a minimal useful example of an allocation-free language
subset). Even rpython assumes a gc for all code, though it certainly tries
to eliminate many allocations.

Graal talks about it, so that could mean they might provide infrastructure:
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/Graal/Graal+Partial+Escape+Analysis
And value types as planned for a future jdk will certainly help java
programmers eliminating allocations.