Clojars is pretty much a one man show right now, but it currently
requires little time to maintain, and works fairly well. If it
supported private repos, the maintenance and support time would go up
considerably, and it would require some sort of business entity around
it. Doing that has been considered in the past, but isn't something
I'm comfortable doing right now, due to other obligations.

The hosting costs are relatively small, and still being sponsored by
Alex Osborne (clojars' original author). I've considered selling
corporate sponsorships or having a fundraising campaign to establish a
fund that could take that burden off of Alex, and to have on hand to
cover contracting someone to help with recovering from potential
compromises (like the linode breach[1]), patching vulnerabilities
(heartbleed, etc), or rebuilding the server in case of failure, if
such help is needed. I have no idea if I'll need some sort of legal
entity to hold that money, but if one is needed, that might be
something the recently proposed Clojure community organization[2]
could handle.

I know that it's often easier to give money over time, but if folks
are interested in helping clojars now, we have quite a few open
issues[3] that are ready for discussion/patches.

- Toby

[1]: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/clojars-maintainers/uAVJVwRAnSU
[2]: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/clojure/i2YqnCkeemM/0nOJaK8U91EJ
[3]: