The past few teams I've been on have used variously S3, Nexus, and
Artifactory, and I wasn't especially happy with any of them.  I think there
is a sweet spot of usability (for small/medium teams) and technical
capability that hasn't really been achieved by anything available.  Of
what's available today, Artifactory's SaaS ("Cloud" version) looks most
palatable but I haven't used it enough to recommend it.

To hit the sweet spot for myself, and for others with similar tastes, I've
been working with Micha Niskin on a commercial product called Projars that
maybe be of interest: http://projars.com/.

Incidentally, the previous owner of the projars.com domain had a different
and interesting idea for it, as a kind of marketplace for commercial
libraries: https://web.archive.org/web/20140309074426/http://projars.com/
 Maybe this could still be a thing?

I am very grateful to Alex Osborne's stewardship of Clojars and the efforts
of all its contributors over the years.  It is an important community
asset.  If finances ever became a problem, I would be happy to contribute,
as I'm sure many others in the community would also.

Alan