All,
  Thanks for the great reply's thus far!  They have helped me get a better
idea of what the issues may be on the JVM.

  "Are you sure you are going to need that scale? 1mil connections is a
pretty ambitious goal."

  I'm not currently planning on 1-2 million connections on a single server
at the moment.  I really wish I had those problems, but I would like to
count on being able to achieve 100-200K on a single reasonably sized
server.  Even if I could achieve 1-2 million connections on a server, I'm
not sure it's the best idea to do so.  It seems like allot of coupling of
the service to a single endpoint.  I sounds like Elxir/Erlang+x, or
possibly Go, may be better at handling the concurrency components of my app
until the JVM ships with a GC that's better suited to this kind of work.  I
know that they are going to ship a new GC in 1.9, but I don't know if it
will help out.

Thanks!
-- Nick