I think we (as an industry) ended up with SPAs because we embraced HTTP
APIs and if you have an HTTP API then you have two logical outcomes:

1. Render pages server side with some performant data layer, sidestepping
the HTTP API and it's associated overhead but incurring the cost of server
side rendering <--- this means that you don't get to consume your own API
which is not an issue if you have full test coverage but it could be an
issue in that you won't experience the pain that your API customers
experience and won't have the same feedback to help you evolve and improve
your API, i.e no internal customers

2. Render pages client side and use the HTTP API, which definitely has an
associated overhead but you compensate for that by shifting the rendering
job to the client

What doesn't make too much sense to me is rendering server side while going
thru an HTTP API .You incur the cost of both the server-side rendering and
the HTTP API. Having said that, in this scenario, if you only
server-side-render the initial page then it still makes sense.

The above conclusion is debate-able of course, but I'm not sure what I'm
missing here.