Rodolfo Schulz de Lima wrote:
Alexander Neundorf escreveu:
If you can find some spare time, there is a command argument parser in CMake/Source/kwsys/, which is used e.g. by cpack, but not (yet) by cmake. Using this in cmake is the first step in getting better support for custom command line parameters. A patch would be very welcome.
Currently I don't have the time.

I think I'll have some spare time to do this on this weekend, I'd be glad to help if there's enough coordination to avoid unnecessary work duplication.

Second idea: maybe it would already help if the command line arguments to cmake would be available via a special cmake variable.
Is there anything which speaks against this, Bill ?

IMHO, we should differentiate between --enable/--disable and --with/--without, like it is on autotools' configure. The former used to enable/disable features, the other to compile with/without some external library.

There's also the ubiquitous --prefix that should be mapped to CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX, and the others that commonly appear when we execute 'configure --help'.

It should be nice to have a framework to facilitate working with enable/disable and with/without. The other common arguments that maps to cmake variables should be set up by default.

The real problem with the command line arguments is how to gather them up for a project. I really have yet figured out a clean way to do that. People will want access to all options in the project, but I don't see a way to do that...

-Bill