On 2010-05-13 14:20-0400 Bill Hoffman wrote:

On 5/13/2010 2:09 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
I now have a simple CMakeLists.txt file which demonstrates this is a
general find issue whenever alternate NAMES are specified.

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
project(test NONE)

FIND_LIBRARY(TCL_LIBRARY
NAMES
tcl
tcl86 tcl8.6
tcl85 tcl8.5
tcl84 tcl8.4
tcl83 tcl8.3
tcl82 tcl8.2
tcl80 tcl8.0
)

This was by design. The idea was that you find the first copy of something that is in the PATH. The names were not expected to be in any particular order. They were supposed to be equivalent. If it found one good. And, just like PATH it should find the first one that it finds.

I think you have just described the behaviour that I want and which I
believe most people expect.  Search for all names in the first alternate
location, then in the second, etc., until you get a hit.  But as my simple
example demonstrates that is not what has been implemented (at least for
FIND_LIBRARY) which is search for the first name in all locations in turn,
then continue for the second name, etc., until you get a hit.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).

Linux-powered Science