On 2/17/2011 8:29 AM, Nicolas Desprès wrote:
2011/2/17 John Drescher<dresche...@gmail.com>:
But we are going off topic. The main point in my post was to trigger
discussion about how we could improve CMake, so that Gyp's
developers/users could use it.

I think one of their main points was to generate standalone projects
that do not require CMake to build.

Yes. As mentioned in point 5.

This will never happen with CMake. CMake will always be required to be on the machine doing the build. There is just no other way to do system introspection. Also, if you don't have something like CMake around it is hard to write cross platform build files that are complex in anyway (i.e. needs to copy files at build time).

So, if you remove try-compile, and all system introspection, find_program, find_library, etc, etc. Also remove the ability to compute depends in makefiles. If you took all those features away from CMake, you would be left with Gyp.

So, there is a trade off with CMake, you have to install CMake on a machine to use CMake. But, for complicated projects that depend on external libraries and have custom build steps, there really is no way around that.

-Bill

--
Bill Hoffman
Kitware, Inc.