Hi Livia,

I can understand your concern.  I guess we keep on learning that until
we ask the questions we will never know the answers - so unless you
ask what your counts are - well....

 It is good that your PCR is trending down and has been doing so for
the past year.  I think Dr. Douglas Smith is a very good Dr. I
actually spoke to him once as I was really interested in trying the
clinical trial he is doing with Gleevec and Interferon.  It is
complicated for me as I am in Canada.  When I was first dxed in
November 2000, Gleevec wasn't approved.  After much research on my
own, I decided I wanted to try Interferon as it is the only drug
currently available that offers some patients an opportunity to
achieve a long term drug free sustainable remission (I am not going to
use the word cure here).  Interferon works by teaching your immune
system to go after the leukemia.  Some reports say that up to 20% of
patients may achieve a level of remission with interferon that would
allow them to go off the drug, all drugs and be drug free - we don't
know how long this will last.  Like transplants, some patients
relapse.  It is something that has always intrigued me.  Anyway, I
stayed on IFN (abreviation for Interferon) for over 18 months at a
very low dose with only very minimal side effects.  I switched to
Gleevec rather than increase my dose of IFN in 2003.  I had a good
response to Gleevec but in 2006 I went back to IFN due to
complications with side effects.  Again, I was on a very low dose of
IFN with minimal side effects, but I only achieved a 2.5 log
reduction, so in February 2007 I went to Sprycel (70 mg QD).

I really think that a low dose IFN with a reasonable dose of Gleevec
is a very good idea.  I think if you could be on 400mg of Gleevec and
a low dose of pegylated IFN this would be a good trial to try.  I am
very biased towards it because if I would do it if I could access it.
The chance to perhaps achieve a drug free sustainable remission is
incredibly appealing to me and worth the well guided risk.

Some patients do have a hard time with IFN.  Before Gleevec was
approved patients were on very high doses of IFN which caused horrible
side effects, however, the much lower doses of IFN being tried with
the trial you are thinking about significantly reduce the side
effects.   My theory is that you will never know until you try.  I
imagine that you will have to go through "pre-trial" check up and you
will know your base starting points with regards to your liver, blood
counts, etc.

On the other hand the vaccines are very interesting too and I have to
say I do not know much about Sargramostim, but I will look it up.
Some people think that vaccines will work much like the GVL effect you
get with a transplant without the high risk of a transplant.

It is an agonizing decision to make no matter how you look at it.  You
are young and relatively healthy (except for CML).  Ask Dr. Smith how
side effects will be managed and how closely will you be monitored?
Gleevec, like Sprycel will never entirely kill all your CML cells.
These are drugs that we will have to take for the rest of our lives
and we are still not sure about the long term effects of constantly
taking these drugs.  Besides, severe water retention is a serious
problem on the long term.  I had big issues with water retention with
Gleevec and I did not have the same problem with IFN.

I would like very much to read the information you have about the
trial.  If you get a chance to scan them, please email them to me.

I will write to you privately and you can call if you would like to
talk to me directly about this trial.

Cheers,
Cheryl-Anne