Now that is a coincidence isn't it? My grandfather (mom's dad) died of
pancreatic cancer. The only other cancer I know of in my family was my eldest
brother's lung>liver cancer after a (short) lifetime of smoking.
FTR I've never smoked.
Patrick

kellyelise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
There was no history of cancer, either, in my family until my parent's
generation. My mother's 2 brothers have had colon cancer and my
father's sister had lung cancer and my father succumbed to pancreatic
cancer. I was dx with CML at the end stages of my father's pancreatic
Ca. Discussing this with an acquaintance, she informed me that her ex-
husband's brother died of pancreatic Ca and her ex-husband then was
dx'd with leukemia (not sure which one) which he died from several
years later. Made me wonder if there was any connection between the
pancreatic Ca and leukemia - onc says no. I would have to admit it was
probably the damn cigarettes that caused my CML (all of my relatives
that contracted cancer smoked - one uncle smoked a pipe and chewed
tobacco). The lung cancer isn't what did my aunt in - it was a
multitude of other problems - they found the lung Ca by accident (she
had quit smoking several years prior to her death). My father quit
smoking at least 6 months before he got the pancreatic Ca - and once
diagnosed and told he was terminal - he resumed smoking (a lot of
cancer patient's will do this as it is the only thing they have
"control" over). One uncle never quit smoking and he beat the colon
cancer (and....he has a weird blood dyscrasia that is severely
impacting his health). The other uncle who smoked a pipe ended up with
lung metastases several years after the colon cancer was "cured." He
has since beat the lung Ca and is still smoking his pipe. He is also
87 years old and has more energy than I do. I am ashamed of the fact
that I still smoke and have a hard time with facing the fact I
"caused" my cancer due to my addiction to cigarettes. But, then, I
also have to realize there are many people with cancer who have never
smoked nor have been exposed to second-hand smoke.

My 2 cents,
Kelly