Hi all,
Just to keep the newbies updated as to what to expect on  Gleevec and other
Meds.
I started was dx in Jan 2004 after flying home from a  trip.  I was so
tired I couldn't hardly put one foot in front of the other,  and as walking is
my daily exercise, I started to complain to my son.  He  said for me to go to
the doctor; well I didn't want to but went to my PCD and he  insisted, even
though I said I really didn't need it.  I had never had much  sickness in
my life, and really didn't think it was anything serious.  I  had noticed a
rapid heart beat and could feel my heart beating after exertion  for while at
rest for a while, but was trying to ignore it.

The next day my PCD calls and tells me my WBC and platelets  are in the
millions; he had already gotten me a doctor's appointment with a  local
oncologist for the evening.  I still didn't want to go, but my son  insisted.

>From that first doctor's appointment to  now, my life was  changed forever.

At that time my oncologist had a blood lab in his office so he  took a
blood sample, and without any further testing, he told me he had good  news and
bad news.  The bad news was that I probably had leukemia; the good  news was
that they had put a drug called Gleevec on the market, and that it  would
probably save my life.

As I said, my platelets and WBC were in the millions.  He  immediately put
me in the hospital as he said I could have a stroke from the  high platelets.

I was hooked up to a blood cleaning machine, and had my blood  cleaned for
4 days straight, however it didn't do much good.  They were  giving me huge
doses of Hydroxyurea along with a few other drugs.  As I had  never taken
many pills, I ask the nurse what they were and the side  effect.  She didn't
know but went to look it up.  It seems the pills  were huge to me and there
were a lot of them.

In the meantime I had to get the Gleevec okd by my insurance  and there was
a $2000 copay.
more later--
Blessings Jeanie>3
2004 dx put on Hydroxurea and Gleevec
2008 Sept put on Tasigna
2008-9 Put on Sprycel

In a message dated 3/10/2013 9:17:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,