Hi Terri,

Your doctor doesn't know what she is talking about dialysis and disability.
If and when you have to be on dialysis then as far as social security
disability goes, you are in fact considered disabled.

Go to Google and type in, are people on dialysis considered disabled.

How do I know about this? Well, I am on dialysis three times a week for
more then four hours each time and I am considered  disabled and on
Medicare.

You might want to let your doctor know that if or when you have to be on
dialysis it takes up a lot of your time and sometimes after a treatment you
don't feel well enough to work.

I have a few suggestions for you. First, find out if any of the medications
that your currently taking have anything to do with your kidney failure. If
so then perhaps you can switch to something else.

Lower your protein intake and see if your kidneys are "spilling" less
proteins.

Start drinking more fluids. If you are not diabetic then start drinking
Cranberry juice is is very helpful to your kidneys and flushes a lot of the
toxins out of them.

Something else you should know. As your kidneys fail they limit the
production of a hormone that goes to your bone marrow to help produce
hemoglobin and as such you start becoming anemic. Once this happens you
feel weak and tired because oxygen is not going to feed your mussels as
well as it should. If or when this happens your doctor should be giving you
either Procrit or Epogen injections. I am currently on Epogen and it does
help me considerably .
Whenever you get a blood test make sure that your levels of Creatinine and
your BUN levels are included in your tests. You may also want to ask your
doctor to do a 24 hour clearance test for your urine to actually see how
well your kidney/s are clearing out the waste products. Even though your
Cratinine and or BUN levels may be a bit high it is that clearance that
really matters.

I am looking for a kidney transplant and am registered at four different
hospitals in Florida. Hopefully once I get back there after the summer I
may be able to get that transplant. This would be my second transplant. I
had a bone marrow transplant for CML more then twenty three years ago, and
now hopefully a kidney transplant will come next.

It seems that there are enough body parts in me (after the kidney
transplant) to make a double of me. As it is now, I am what is called a
Chimera, meaning that the blood type that I was born with, O+ has turned
into B+ which was my bone marrow donors blood type. Since bone marrow
doesn't have to be the same blood type  but solid organ transplants do need
to be of the same blood type, being a Chimera my body can accept a B+
kidney or since I once was O+ and that being the universal donor, my body
can also accept a O+ kidney, but that would have to be from a live donor.

Terry, if there is anything that I can help you with then all you need to
do is to ask me. If you would like to speak with me on the phone then just
email me personally at wa2...@juno.com  and I will send you my telephone
number or if you want, just send me yours.

Terry just one final thing... If you feel down and depressed about all of
this then my suggestion to you is don't. Just look at me. I have gone
through all of this and I am still here dealing with all of this, but I
don't let any of this get me down and I try to live my life as best as I
can, and I am enjoying my life to the fullest, and so should you.

18's and the very best of luck.