André wrote:
> Hi Steve, Rex,
> This thread is close to my heart and Steve, I think
> Rex has a point.

Hi, Steve, Rex, and André!  Sorry to jump in, but
near and dear to my heart is this also.

André wrote:
> <snip> I don't know why I never noticed but there
> is a MAJOR rift in system architecture that Rex is
> alluding to.  A CMS IMHO *must* be able to manage
> content _internally_ before any template has been
> built - ie. framework.  <snip>

Very interesting observation, this architectural
"rift".  Agreed, that managing content _internally_
is of paramount importance to CM.  There are a number
of approaches to this, like Zope's objects, systems
using database back-ends (field and record-described
data), systems using binary (opaque, proprietary)
"doc/content" storage, etc.  The issue is more
complicated when looking at issues like whether or
not a schema or well-defined form must be defined
prior to adding content.

I attended some of the *first* Portal conferences,
and it was quite interesting (to me) how painful
it was for the speakers/panels to manage simply
a *definition* of "Portal".  While inconclusive,
I did get some nice high-level context for that
time (a few years ago):

In the beginning we had file storage, and then
came LANs where we could share files, and then
came WANs where we could distribute files, and
then came the WEB where we could distribute files
and have some basic interactivity (client-side,
server-side, distribute Applets as business
logic packets, CGI-type interactivity).  Those
rather "static" views (despite the idea that you
are doing client/server manipulation) comprised
many companies' "intranets".  When "portals" showed
up, consultants promoting the new buzz word had
to urinate in various areas to etch out a distinct
territory separate from "intranets".

While painfully concluded, the answer was
"workflow".  Intranets may have some client/server
manipulation and even dynamic rendering, but you're
largely working with a static set of content.
The power of Portals was promised as the "workflow
integrator", where the user's view was everything
the user cared about to get that person's job done,
thus customized for that user's work, including
interactivity that fed the content on the back
end.  If intranets were centralized content propagated
to the user, Portals were customized one-stop shopping
to that centralized content, with tools integration,
that had a side effect of the job getting done, and
another side effect of the centralized content being
updated.

In the Portal crowd in those days, "content
management" was the stupid scripts or tools or junk
that you used to find the file you created two
months ago. (CM wasn't the "end-all", because Portals
were the "end-all".  CM was the commodity that
was needed, but was difficult to implement.)

I fear there is something to that which is easy
to forget:  We don't have a database so we can fill
it with data.  Rather, a database is something that
is part of a chosen solution-for-a-higher-purpose.
Similarly, we don't have a CM system so we can
fill it with content.  Ideally, we would also
know that "higher purpose".

> > Behalf Of Steve Williams
> >
> > "A true CMS should only be dealing with content
> > management and not with presentation. <snip>
> >
> > Rex - I would love to know where it written down
> > what a CMS can and cant be

I don't know who owns the definitions either.  I've
seen many thoughts by many vendors/consultants,
though.

I appreciate the efforts to distinguish among
content management and config management and
knowledge management and digital rights management
and digital asset management and presentation
management and the all-to-prevolent stupid senior
management, but sometimes it seems these important
and subtle distinctions merely cloud what's really
going on.  That's why I like this discussion
on content *management* separate from *presentation*.

So, if the exact same content can be published
in HTML and TeX, do you have that separation?
I'm not sure how to measure this, but that seems
easier to separate than those other fields listed
above.

> Question for every vendor on this list:  Can you
> create content without a template?

We're not a vendor (academic system in development),
but we don't have any concept of a template.  We
describe heterogeneous content, with very little
concept of rendering (text files, proprietary data
language).  All rendering comes at the point of
publication.

As a related aside, I've been reading a lot of
articles lately about how "unstructured content"
is a misnomer, that even the most abstract
documents have internal structure (linked thoughts
in some order).  I dispute this notion that these
documents are "structured".  Not wishing to succomb
to the hubris of self-defined terms, but our
project adopted the notion of "structure" as
described in Computer Science where, "structure
implies form".  If I have "structure", then I have
a well-known form where one paragraph comes (the
abstract), followed by one image, followed by
a series of paragraphs.  If all "documents" look
like that (we've seen that deployed in a number
of environments), then we have a well-known structure.
We have structured content.  If your "document" can
merely be ten images and no text, or whatever else
not "well-known" and impossible to anticipate, then
that's unstructured (the idea of "structure" is
not related to ideas, but to physical media types
comprising the content).

Is this "structure" a template?  Or, is it a template
independant of a target technology (HTML, TeX, etc.)?
Or, is it a template tied to a specific target
technology (only for HTML)?  Or, is it a template
tied to a specific target technology (HTML) for
a specific domain (BarnesAndNoble.com book
description)?

By default, none of our content has any structure
whatsoever.  So yes, I can most assuredly respond
in the affirmative as to the opinion of the latter
regarding the query of the former in regards to
content creation without a template.  Indubitably.
(I need to practice my political speaking, as I've
been told on occasion that I lack tact.)

Again, sorry to butt in.  I'm a jerk like that.

--charley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]