I really did not want to get in to this thread. I don't have the time at
the moment.

Mattias wrote:

>I'm curious, can you give an example of where it doesn't work? Maybe
I've >missed something  :)

My PC, by note I'm an advanced technical user. Furthermore my brain
works visually (I'm very visual) so anything tool that does not take
advantage of this when writing serious stuff is of no use. I even make
sketches and diagrams (UML and other) to explain my ideas, to
contextualize and move on with the refinement of speech.

Mattias wrote:

>Personally I think that vendords invested so much time and money into
their >WYSIGWYG tools that they're loathe to give them up ;) It's a
easier sell to >say "just press this button" for bold than trying to
explain the XML->paradigm

It's easier to sell because it's what customer's want and most probably
need at the moment. Can I sell something to you that you do not want
(well if you need or not is another matter)?

Can you look to yourself and your work area? What is the tool that you
immediately use to write and expose your thoughts (apart from email?) in
documents? Are you willing to change the process of creation in order to
satisfy the constraints of Computers for information processing?

Structured information is an artificial artifact needed by computers in
most cases. We humans to not need it or want it! We are visual! (That is
our freedom)

Best regards,

Nuno Lopes
Independent Consultant

PS: This post shows an extreme position of mine. Note, I use structured
information approaches to content management, but I hardly view it as a
good thing by itself. On the contraire it can only be justifiable within
the scope of automating business processes that will provide
considerable benefits to an organization or group of workers. Even then
my advice is structure the minimum that you need to structure (the rest
... work as usual).

--
http://cms-list.org/
trim your replies for good karma.