From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
On Behalf Of Jonathan Peterson
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 6:47 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [cms-list] managing metadata

> I would submit that neither SQL nor XML are really the best data model

> for CMS metadata.  If you are limited to these two, I would go with
XML
> and rely on the capabilities of a decent XML database that allows you
> treat the XML interchangeably as either deep or shallow and provides a

> decent query interface, i.e. not "in-memory".

I agree, but I'd like to hear of such a database. SQL is good for
storing some kinds of information. XML is good for storing other kinds.
I've never had a huge problem with mixing these things.

I often hear that databases are 'bad' because a change to the taxonomy
requires much work re-writing SQL queries, whilst in XML, a change
merely requires updating a schema. I can't say agree. All data
processing makes assumptions about the data. It matters little whether
you are re-writing your SQL phrasebook or the XSLT sheets, either way
you are re-writing.

My final thought is that much information doesn't fit into either XML or

  relational systems, simply because it does not fit into a rigid
taxonomy. People tend to forget this when building CMS systems. XML may
make it easier for computer programs to talk to each other, but that
doesn't necessarily make it easier for humans to talk to each other,
which is the ultimate goal of CMS systems...

--
Jonathan Peterson
Technical Manager, Unified Ltd, +44 (0)20 7383 6092

--
http://cms-list.org/
more signal, less noise.

--