Thanks everyone for the input, interesting discussion for sure. I decided to
go with my dynamic database approach using entity and attributes. Storing
metadata simply in the database while clean and flexible solution simple
isn't viable since it in effect renders the metadata invisible from the
standpoint of SQL processing and querying, using this system I can
nevertheless export the metadata as XML that can I can perform Xpath queries
against (I'd rather use Xpath than inventing a proprietary query engine)
although the problem remains on how to run XPath queries efficiently against
large documents or many small ones.

 About the only downside to this approach is that the XML isn't freely
structured but I don't see many instances where metadata need to be deeply
hierarchial, seems like  value-key and value-sets can handle most any cases.

best regards
---
Mattias Konradsson

--