Here's some of my experience:

> Tony Wrote:
> Would you store XML as BLOBs in a RDBMS?  Pros/cons?
> Would you store XSLTs as BLOBs in a RDBMS? Pros/cons?
> I think XSLTS should be stored on disk...but XML data can be stored in
> many ways...Mapped, as BLOBS, etc.

I came to the overall conclusion when working on a enterprise grade cms that
it's best to store *everything* in the database, xml documents, xslt
stylesheets
images etc etc, that way you have everything nice and centrally making it
easy to make backups and keeping transactional integrity. I do however
"push"
out the content to the middle-layer servers so the templates and xml
documents get written to the FS on each middle-tier server. This gives you
the best of both worlds when it comes to performance and security.

> Have you ever generated XSLTs from a scripts BEFORE they are used to
> transform?
>
> Have you ever tried using multiple XSLTs to generate just one output
> page or pages.   I am considering using a different XSLT process to
> transform each "region" of a page.  Any thoughts?

I've used that technique but found it a better way to assemble on big
stylesheet by the use of includes, this makes it much easier and flexible to
transform documents and you can do cool things like inheritance and
overriding templates. It also relieves you of the burden of identifying
which template should be used for transformation, you simply serve upp
templates that match the data in the aggregated stylesheet and it will take
care of it. Performance might be an issue but in .Net for example you can
cache a compiled instance of a stylesheet minimizing this issue.

<signature>
<email>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</email>
<mobile country="+46" area="709" number="284262"/>
<company>Existic</company>
</signature>

--
http://cms-list.org/