Jonathan Peterson wrote:
> I often hear that databases are 'bad' because a
> change to the taxonomy requires much work re-writing
> SQL queries, whilst in XML, a change merely requires
> updating a schema. I can't say agree. All data
> processing makes assumptions about the data.

Well, I suppose "all data processing makes assumptions
about the data" is true, but only in the most mind-
numbing (and least useful) way.  Rather, the I see
the *real* issue is that Planet Earth is accustomed to

processing data that is fully or partially structured,
mostly because vendors offer products for that and
that's what's familiar to users.  By structuring data,
you impose form, which constrains options for data
representation, which makes parsing and processing
easier (more bounded).  It's the structuring of data
that causes "re-work" to occur when you change your
mind as to what the structure is supposed to be.  It
is also what causes problems when the beginning of
a large data representation effort demands some
content manager make guesses as to what the future
holds (exactly what data will exist, and how that data
will be processed).

The ever-present "Databases V. XML:  Battle To The
Death" comes from the fact that (relational)
databases are *highly* structured, and XML offers
more degrees of freedom from *highly* to *partially*
structured.  If your data defies invariant
description,
XML has more wiggle room (but still requires
definition of structure to a large degree).

Yes, it is *entirely* possible to have "fully
unstructured data".  This places no assumptions as
to the specific type, volume, or mix of content exists
for a given "well-known" entity.  However, there are
few technologies that pursue this seriously (it's a
hard problem).  Nonetheless, there is recognized need
in many markets, which is why relational databases are
being wrapped with XML interfaces (getting more
wiggle room, but it's still a bandaid at best).

> It matters little whether you are re-writing your
> SQL phrasebook or the XSLT sheets, either way you
> are re-writing.

Agreed, both require rewriting of processing logic,
and probably import/export (or conversion) of
existing data from the "old" form to the new.

> My final thought is that much information doesn't
> fit into either XML or relational systems, simply
> because it does not fit into a rigid taxonomy.

*Completely* agree.  That's the "structured" v.
"partially structured" v. "unstructured" fight.  I
predict the rise of more unstructured data
technologies since this is a huge need with lots of
user dollars behind it.  Yes, HTML was kind of like
that, and XHTML is kind of like that too.  But, no
cigar because of parse inefficiences, platform
technology assumptions, and the way it's a terrible
storage format.

--charley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]