This begs the question: Why has the Pipes shipped with z/VM now never been
updated over the past ten years, when there is obviously a newer version
readily available?

I don't really care for running rogue versions of of tools supplied with the
system, be it z/VM or Linux. But it would seem to me that it is high time
for IBM to pick up a more current version of Pipes and include it with
(possibly the next) a new release of z/VM.

If this is not possible, then what is the logic behind it not being
possible? Why can't we have a newer Pipes with our newer z/VM?

--
   .~.    Robert P. Nix             Mayo Foundation
   /V\    RO-OE-5-55                200 First Street SW