On Jan 21, 2008 5:55 PM, Marty Zimelis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Shimon,
>    You are, of course, correct.  However, the potential big resource
> consumer is not the installation but the ongoing support.  No one in
> Endicott is sufficiently fluent in the internals of modern plumbing to
> support it and bringing even a few people up to speed is, I believe, beyond
> what upper management is willing to devote to Pipelines without, as I said
> earlier, a compelling business case for doing so.

Nobody will expect my view on this to be unbiased, so I will not even try ;-)

There's a wealth of new cool stuff in the current version of CMS
Pipelines. I tried to show some of that in my presentation last year:
http://rvdheij.nl/Presentations/2007-V65.pdf    If folks in Endicott
would only exploit half of that, they already had their business
case...   This has nothing to do with whether CMS is strategic or not.
One of the reasons z/VM works as a hypervisor is because it's highly
programmable through CMS virtual machines (and because we have
performance data).
Obviously a 10-year old product does not address the new requirements
we have today. But a lot of the new function in Pipes has been added
because of these new requirements. There's even CMS Pipelines stuff
that we can not have in the Runtime Library right now, but would be
available the moment Endicott picks up the current level of Pipes.

We can't take plastic pipes for granted at installations now, so I am
forced to do plumbing with both hands on my back. I hate to waste my
time like that. If there were serious concerns w.r.t. compatibility
and testing, z/VM could provide a dual setup and have some service
machines run old pipes. Those things have been done for years in IGS
already.

Sir Rob the Plumber