I'd say because a punch is 80 characters, you're seeing the padding causing
the error.  I can get the same error with:
pipe literal abc | block 80 cms | pad 80 | deblock cms | cons
I remember some situation where I wished deblock cms would "see" and end of
file with a record length of 0.

--
Bruce Hayden
z/VM and Linux on IBM Z and LinuxONE