Stevan,

I had the same set-up on my 35/3.  I switched to fiddle blocks with the
lower one using a cam cleat and becket.  I'm not sure the leverage is much
different, but it is easier to cleat and uncleat the cam cleat than use the
self-tailing winch, especially when short handed.  When the wind is blowing
I take a wrap around the winch and start wondering about furling.

hope you are enjoying the boat!

Joel
35/3
The Office