From: djhaug...@juno.com
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:23:13
To: <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Stus-List  Battery Setup

Okay,

I'm out on the mooring and the only way of charging my batteries right now is
the engine.

I currently only have a single battery installed but, I want to add 2 more.

The current battery I got last year, brand new and it has seen little use.  It
is a deep cycle marine battery.

I was thinking to get another deep cycle marine battery and have a pair for
house power and have another for engine starting.

I have a Balmar MaxCharge MC-612 and a Balmar 75 amp alternator and a
off-1-both-2 battery switch (pretty simple, right?)

I have no AC system, I have no refrigeration or air conditioning or hot water
or potable water pumps or pressurized potable water.  Just old fashioned light
and a couple of cigarette lighter type power outlets.

My questions are;

1. do I need a cranking battery for starting with an atomic 4? This single deep
cycle I have now seems to be doing the job fine.
2. without a separator, the routine would be, switch to starting battery, start
engine, switch to both while running the engine, then switch to house (or off
when sailing if no power is needed) when the engine is cut?
3. I think I can get away without the separator for the rest of this season
anyway, it is really a convenience, right?  Not having to manually switch over
to the battery I need.
4. There should be no problem using the A4 engine to charge the batteries if
need be, right?  I assume thats the reason for the high end alternator and
multi-stage marine regulator...

I would love to hear all insights, suggestions and comments.  We're going
cruising to the Buzzards Bay islands for a week and I'm trying to make sure we
don't run out of light and cell phone charging during our week in the boat.

I'm thinking I'll get some battery operated LED lights as well.  I also have
these little power pack for phone charging which will also help conserve
battery power.  I'm just not sure what to expect.

Also, I have a little electric trolling motor for the dinghy and picked up a
tractor battery to run that.  Any thoughts as to whether I can expect to get to
shore and back a few times on that?  I was just trying to keep the power pack
lighter than a full sized deep cell.  I do have a gas 4hp engine but it needs
work and I don;t have the time to mess with it.

Thanks,
Danny
Lolita
1973 Viking 33