Thats good info...So, even though the deep cells start the engine fine, it's
not really the greatest idea to use them that way? I would like to go with a
solar charging system and some recommendations would be great!

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Marek Dziedzic" <dziedzi...@hotmail.com>
To: <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Battery Setup
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:28:17 -0400

The main reason for a separate starting and house batteries is that they are of
different type (construction). the starting battery is supposed to give you
high output (100A ?) for a short time, but it hates to be discharged. he house
battery should be deep -cycle, I.e. it allows to be discharged quite a bit (at
least, down to 50% or even lower) without damage, but it does not like high
output that might be required to start an engine (I don't have an inboard, so I
don't have the problem). If you run high current through a deep-cycle battery
you may damage the plates. There are batteries that would work fine in both
situations (some AGMs), but I don't think you have any of those. Btw. if you go
solar, don't skimp on the regulator. Without one or with a cheap one, you can
kill the battery in no time. Don't ask how I know. Mareks/v Fennel (C&C
24)Ottawa