OK Stu, here's a dumb question:

If the water is leaving the Upper Great Lakes faster than normal, why isn't
the level of the Lower Great Lakes rising with all that influx of water? We
keep our boat in Hamilton, Ontario, and the water level at the fixed docks
at the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club is so low now that I have to sit on my
butt on the dock with my legs dangling in space before a gingerly lower
myself on to the deck of Trillium now several feet below dock level. I
can't see how putting baffles in the St. Clair River is going to improve
the water level on Lake Ontario. There seems to be something more at work
here than water flow through the St. Clair River. It probably has to do
more with lack of snow fall and snow build up in the winter with resulting
reduced run off in the spring, as well as changes in precipitation
generally. Global warming (or Climate Change)  perhaps? I don't have an
answer, but this does seem to be a problem facing the whole Great Lakes,
not just the Upper Lakes.

Rob