Chuck I think Edd is correct.  Have your friend contact his insurance company
and let them sort it out.  There is no need to deal with the yard or the clam
boat owners directly.  There will be too many emotions to negotiate rationally.
 Remember, they've lost quite a lot as well and there really is no need to add
to all that misery.  You really do need to try and remove the emotion from it
all (i.e. what "should" be recovered by you friend).  In the end, what is
covered will be covered.  The insurance company will likely try to minimize
damages by either lowering your settlement offer or going after the other
insurance companies that may be liable.  So, an independent attorney may be
needed.  However, the cost of that attorney may be covered if you win, if you
lose, you'll be out the damages you were trying to recover AND the attorney
fees. I know a guy who was not happy with what his insurance company's offering
on a claim for damages to a very expensive and unusual vehicle.  They were
offering about half what my friend thought it was worth.  Now this guy is Uber
wealthy, and he decided to hire the best law firm in the area and fight it to
the end.  He won, and the insurance company had to pay him what he was asking
and cover all legal fees.  IIRC the legal fees we around the same cost as the
amount the insurance company originally offered.  They ended up paying triple
their original offer.  Had he lost, however, he have been stuck with nothing
because the settlement would have gone to the lawyers!  Now. he knew this going
in, and given his financial situation, was willing to play hardball AND well
prepared to lose.   Your friend needs to decide if, he did decide to fight, and
lost, could he tolerate that financially.  Not to mention the time involved to
fight a case like this.  He'll get nothing until it settles.  That could be
years! So, I'd be real hesitant to go that route in this case because, it is
and "act of God" situation. Anyway, that is my perspective. Wish him good luck.
DannyLolita1973 Viking 33Westport Point, MA