From:   "Roth Arthur" <rothassocia...@verizon.net>
To:     <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>,
Date:   11/06/2012 02:54 PM
Subject:        Stus-List Teak Veneer Delamination
Sent by:        "CnC-List" <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com>

I hope someone on the list may have a suggestion as to how to address/fix
my problem.

Sometime during the last month or so, water must have gotten into the boat
from the deck as yesterday while cleaning up below, I found several
blisters/delamination of the teak veneer on the upper far port side of the
forward bulkhead in the main cabin. This situation has developed since
late August which was the last time I wiped down the bulkhead. I?m not
sure where the water got in as, except for the handrail which is not
exactly over the blistered area and where I have never had any leaks in
the 20 years I?ve owned the boat, there aren?t any fittings, cleats, etc.
on the cabin top over the bulkhead between the mast and the side of the
cabin. The blisters are tear drop shaped, wider at the top where the
bulkhead meets to top of the cabin and narrowing down to almost a point.
They extend in from the side of the cabin about 8-10 inches and one or two
of them are 6 inches long or so. The blisters are only on the aft side of
the bulkhead close to the side of the cabin. There doesn?t seem to be any
problem with the same area on the other side of the bulkhead in the head.

The area is dry now. Although I couldn?t reach to the very top of the
bulkhead since the cabin liner is in the way, it appears that the plywood
under the teak veneer is solid and there are no signs of rot or moisture
on either side of the bulkhead in the affected area.

The interior veneer on the boat has been varnished. By pressing on the
blisters, it seemed like they could be pressed back flat against the
plywood backing.

I realize my first challenge will be to find out where the water is coming
from, but I would appreciate any suggestions as to how these blisters
might be repaired. I know that blistered veneers on furniture can
sometimes be removed by heating with an iron, but that supposes that the
veneer is applied with a heat sensitive glue. I suspect that the veneer
that C&C used might have been glued with something like contact cement
because of its intended use in a marine environment.

I will be very grateful for any comments or suggestions as to how to deal
with the blistered veneer after I?ve traced down the source of the water.

Thanks,
Art Roth
C&C 36 Godspeed
Palmetto, FL