I have done a similar thing as Alan B.

I have 2 GPS's, a VHF with AIS receiver, a Nexus instrument system and a Simrad
wheel pilot.

I brought all the data wires from all the users and senders to one terminal
strip.  From there I can ensure that the AIS and NMEA datastreams are all
connected properly.  One wrinkle is the two GPS's.  One (text only) is at the
navstation and one (a chartplotter with AIS display capability) is at the helm.
 I use a simple toggle switch to select which GPS is active.  For day sails, I
usually don't bring the charplotter out and hook it up.

As for labels,  I use 3M ID: 80-6114-2462-5, 3M™ ScotchCode™ SDR-10-19 Wire
Marker Tape to label each wire.  I have a wiring table (not diagram) which
shows the connections.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA