I have been thinking about the shortcomings of PHRF recently and how
ratings can be challenged. http://www.phrf-nb.org/ has a description of the
process which is interesting.  It tends to stack the odds against the "odd"
or older boat. If you can take the politics out of it, generally it will be
hard to have enough data will not have enough data to persuade the
committee to adjust your boat based on performance of the boat (and not the
skipper).

Please note, I am complaining about my PHRF. But if I wanted to it would be
quite difficult.

On LIS there is only one other 34+ rated as of 2012. So it would be hard to
have evidence that the boat consistently does better or worse against
similarly rated boats.

>From my experience in the local fleet, I can keep pace with a J-105, and
regularly beat at Beneteau 36.7. But in distance races 36.7s from other
fleets have killed me.  There is a Tripp 37 that regularly mops up the
local fleet, but when he races on the sound he is mid-fleet.

Also, unlike one-design fleets that have class rules, PHRF has virtually no
limits on things like sails. So in a more wealthly fleet, it can really
become an arms race.

Anyhoo, just some random thoughts.