From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Gary
Nylander
Sent: February 8, 2013 5:16 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Main Reefing System

There are two ways to go - a single line system which can be controlled from
the cockpit or a two-man system.

The two man system is easier to rig. Put a reefing cringle about 3 feet up
the luff of the main - my sailmaker then put a short strap through the
cringle - the strap has a ring at each end. Attached to the gooseneck of the
boom is a hook, mine is nearly a circle - of about 1/4 inch stainless.

About three feet up on the leech of the main, put another cringle. On the
boom, put a flush fitting block on one side and a padeye on the other, about
a foot in from the end of the boom (make sure when your main is dropped
down, these will be able to pull back on the main leech).

The reefing line is run from the padeye, up to the cringle on the leech,
down to the block and then forward along the side of the boom (some run it
inside - maybe that's better if you reef a lot, around here we don't).

To reef, lower the main, one person hooks the little strap to the hook on
the gooseneck, and another hauls in the leech line (my boat has a small
winch on the side of the boom and a cleat just forward of that). When the
line is tight, then secure it and hoist the main back up.

The single line system just continues the reefing line forward to the
gooseneck and then through a block up to the cringle at the luff and back
down to something to secure it. Sometimes people run this through a block at
the base of the mast and then back to the cockpit - to a winch. Then one
person can do the whole thing.

I hope I explained it OK.

Gary